Friday, June 21, 2013

Still life painted together with children

It's been three or four years since I brought my father-in-law's memorial service from LA, but I still don't adjust and I'm flustered when anniversary of one's death approaches.

Even if I do not believe in religion, have doubts about the necessity of worshipping. However, I brought the memorial service to New York to please mother-in-law, who is far away from me and cannot do well.

Why do busy things happen on every sacrifice day? This service coincided with Saturday. I have to go dancing class in the evening. "Is it more important to dance than my father's sacrifice?" "The ritual is more important.” I answered my husband kindly, but I called my mother-in-law as I was not sure. "You can do it any time the day before." I decided to do early because I was busy.

With the simple table my father usually liked, I prepared tricolored greens, and fish and soup. The fish was washed and cut, and the younger son put an egg and flour on the fishes. The oldest son fried filleted fishes

I washed the vegetables, and the younger son stir-fried them. The older son, who finished fry, washed the dishes, and the younger son, who finished stir-fry the vegetables, wiped the fruit and put it in the plates. My husband laid canvas cloth on a large table, placed his father's picture in the center, lit candles and burned incense. I prepared something a little more expensive than our usual wine.

Because of that I heard from my father, who held the memorial service several times a year, I ordered the children to "Hongdong White Paper." "Red fruit is to the east the white fruit is to the west," a fine still-life painting on the canvas was set up table. "It's a complete art. Art.' One by one, we put up wine, bowed, and thought of father-in-law.

"Mom, why are we setting a table when grandpa can't even eat?" The children wondered at each rite. How well did grandpa do to you? "At least once a year, think deeply and say, 'Thanks grandpa.' You will not have to hold a memorial service. Mom and dad still have Korean customs and want to do it.”

My father-in-law sent me plane tickets every Christmas, so my family went to LA for the holidays. He used to decorate Christmas trees with his grandchildren and make cookies and give them to neighbors. He helped out with his tuition by turning his retirement fund into his grandchildren's college tuition. The grandfather the children remembered was Santa Claus. "If you have something you want to say to your grandfather, say like 'I'll do my best.'"

Due to the unusually frequent rainwater, the backyard was lush. I scattered the rice, which had been used to put incense in the bronze bowl, and the birds chirp and gather. Are we going back to nature when we die?

No comments:

Post a Comment