Friday, August 21, 2015

A natural meal

I ate lettuce-wrapped rice once a day for the past month. I put rice and miso on top of the lettuces and chewed slowly like a cow while looking out the window.

A long time ago my roommate did casher worked at a vegetable store. She brought a bunch of lettuce on her way home from work and ate the lettuce-wrapped rice late at night. She used to tell me that the most delicious things in the world are the lettuce-wrapped rice.

When I was bored to eat only the lettuce, I ate to dip the anchovies in the red pepper paste with white rice. I remembered another acquaintance who instead of getting used to the food in a long American life, he hates to eat sandwich. He liked to eat anchovies with red pepper paste and hot white rice. Imagined the humble red pepper paste and anchovies on his luxurious table

If there was a green pepper, I did not eat anchovies. Friend who lives in Staten Island gave me the lettuce, said, It is not hot this summer, so lettuce farming went well but other vegetables are not so good.

My friend brought a lot of sesame leaves last year and made a sesame leaf pickle. This year, on a rainy day, she brought full of lettuce in a brown bag. I could not even catch her because she had a place to go. I stood stupidly in the lobby, thanking her for holding a brown paper bag drenched in water. The doorman shrugged at me and I pressed the elevator button quickly.

Considering the sincerity of my friend, I ate it all without throwing away. I put a lettuce that has not been fresh in the water for a half day, and it is a miraculous return to the original state.

I don’t want to enter the kitchen in the middle of summer because of the scorching sun through the large western kitchen window and the heat from the oven. I bought my husband 's favorite beer in a box and greet my husband who returns home. How good would it be for my husband to eat dinner with lettuce-wrapped rice and anchovies like a friend or former roommate?

It is too hot day. As the puppies pulled on, I went into the kitchen and only cooked the rice. I told my husband who was feeling better with a beer. "It’s a natural meal today because the weather is hot and humid.” When he sees the lettuce and anchovies on the table, he reluctantly says, "Well, if there are a husband like me, tell him to come out."

No comments:

Post a Comment