Friday, April 12, 2013

Tears of two mothers

I do not live with my aged in-law parents and do not give enough money, but I'm calling on the weekend to listen to my mother-in-law. I heard that when we get older, forget for a moment what just happened, but remember the old days clearly. The story of mother-in-law goes always a long way off to old.

"I went to New York, where my son lives, in the cold early winter of one year. It was so pitiful to see him crouching to make art works that was not worth money in a big old warehouse. I felt depressed on the plane all the way back. Why does he want to be a artist in that cold place instead of this warm LA?"

"The shock must have been appalled by your own mother's sight of you who married and lived in that warehouse! That's why your mother died early," she said, panting a long sigh. "That's not true. She’s so weak. And she's had a long trip."

It may not have been the hope of living well in the United States, but my own mother was very shocked to see me live. She raised me well and sent me to study abroad, but I got married and lived in a dark warehouse with a roommate

My parent canceled their trip to Canada and gave me the funds they brought. "I'll buy you a decent living place in a year, so bear with until then," she went to Seoul and died right away. It is clear that my own mother also went crying on the plane all the way back to Seoul

"This much space in Manhattan, New York, how good is this?" Unlike my disheartening mother, my father who couldn't find a place to live when he was studying in Japan gave me courage.

I have read articles in the newspapers, such as the saga of artists who divorced with intention of painting. If can eat well and live well with a job called artist, where's a better job? But will it hurt children and hurt their parents' hearts by insisting on being artist.

Who doesn't want to invite elderly parents to their own plausible exhibition? My father-in-law, who once dreamed of becoming an artist when he was young, supported his son who chose to become an artist, but he passed away only a few months before my husband's big exhibition.

"Our lives end school and work to support family. By the time it's financially stable, I see the hopes of doing what I want to do and having a wonderful future near me, but the body is already old and death is near," my father-in-law said. I cannot forget what he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment