Friday, April 26, 2013

Maybe she's the same woman

t's been raining all day. Why are there so many thoughts that come to mind on a day like this?

Where was it? Was it Ttukseom? After breaking up with the man I was dating, I walked along the side of the Han River without an umbrella even walked to Itaewon. Now memories of him faded into thick fog. The rain, flowing through the hair, moistened my cheeks, and pierced bitter chest. The only vivid memory was of trying not to miss the wet shoes that are trying to get out of my feet.

A woman who caught my eye waiting for a car in the rain with a man I know. 'Where did I see her?' Although she is a woman I've seen a few times, I'm confused because every time a man with her, it's different. My eyes always hang about her because every time a man is no stranger. She looked conscious of me, too.

At the beginning of my marriage, our couple lived with a roommate together in Soho, Manhattan. All the acquaintances that knew us came in and out of our studio like they own. Not only their friends but also their girlfriends were in and out. Some even lived in the gray sofas in the middle of the studio until they came to New York and settled in.

There was an unkempt kitchen under our bedroom on one side of the big studio. Some women used to show off their cooking skills with grocery they bought in Chinatown. Tired of the dark, gloomy, and bustling life, I sneaked up into the bedroom above the kitchen, whenever I could. I used to lie down on my side and listen to the sound of cutting boards. Even now, the story of a woman I met with my roommate several times is vivid in my ears.

It was the sound of a woman who didn't know I was lying in the bedroom above the kitchen, telling my roommate who was helping her beside her. The woman, who works at a Japanese restaurant, began to talk, "The taste of beef varies depending on the part,' she said." After all, the core of the story was that Soo Im Lee is unattractive like the most tasteless part of beef. I have lived with my husband for nearly 30 years even if I am not attractive. With all her charm, why did she get dumped by our roommate?

Why does it occur to me that she is a woman who was dumped by my former roommate? Am I mistaken? It's a long time ago, so it's not clear, but the way she looks at me and exudes an atmosphere that is so similar.

I'm finally starting to write a novel, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment