Friday, July 1, 2022

Fried or not?

 It may not be easy to open the door of the house and invite people these days, but a friend who has invited several times in the meantime invited acquaintances again in coming September. thank her very much. I'm sorry that only she is struggling in the situation of growing old together, so I decided to cook. 

 When she invited friends last time, the food that others had brought disappeared to reveal the bottom of the plate. Unfortunately, the food I took was left with only a few corners torn off. This time, I'm going to make fried shrimp, which I'm good at. 

 I wanted to make fried shrimp whenever she invited me. However, as the date approached, I slowly changed my mind. I'm afraid the clothes I'm going to wear will smell of oil. I don't want to go with a figure heated by the heat of the oil. Should I fry it or not? I hesitated and stopped. 

 I learned shrimp tempura from my father. When my father studied abroad in Japan, he worked part-time at a hotel. He started as a dishwasher, made food, and then catered, so he was able to pay attention to the food tastes of Americans. 

 During the Korean War, he evacuated to Haeundae and made fried shrimp and french fries next to the American Army base and sold them to G.I. They ate and gave him PX goods instead of money, My father sold them to the international market. He made a lot of money and he bought a house in Haeundae. 

 When he came back to Seoul, he opened a western cuisine restaurant in Myeong-dong and made so much money that he didn't even notice one of the money sacks was missing. However, as cholera spread, He said that the restaurant was closed because the U.S. military, who was the main customer, was blocked from going out. 

 It reminds me of a scene I used to cook with my father when I was young. After trimming, washed the discarded vegetables and made vegetable soup. While making ketchup and mayonnaise, he told me to stir-fry the flour. When the flour turns light brown, he adds the orange powder as if taking it out of a magic jar and want me to stir-fry it until a darker color appeared. He made curry powder. 

 He bought fresh shrimp at Namdaemun Market and peeled it off, leaving only the tail skin. Insert a toothpick into the edge of the middle back of the shrimp, and pull it upwards, and the shit will come out. If cut the shrimp back in half, it will only be the size of my palm. He said that temperature control is important because the shrimp shrinks when the temperature drops when frying shrimp. 

 At the beginning of our marriage, when they lived in a warehouse in Grand Street, Manhattan, my father looked around Chinatown and bought shrimp and said, 
"Call all your friends. Let them eat as much as they want. Vegetable soup with salad and fried shrimp is the best." 

 Dear friend, I'm sorry that I've only been making not delicious food. I'll really make fried shrimp this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment