Friday, January 29, 2016

Quiet chaos

Why does the community in ‘The giver’ by Lois Lowry's book keep reminding me? It feels like visiting Japan, which is quite different from the place where I have traveled so far.

On the lonely road where the crows were crying, I took off my shoes and walked tired barefoot. Ducks ride on a clear stream of clean street, where even the small pieces of garbage cannot be seen. Buses, taxies and cars were as shiny as they had just been from car wash. Every two-story house looks neat as if the dust had just been washed away in the rain.

Empty bottles are cleaned and sorted by color and non-color. After the garbage truck passes, an elderly neighborhood cleans up after. The pond is filled with silk carps, reminiscent of the brilliant colors of kimono. In the street, people dressed traditional costumes are as beautiful as silk carps. New York's common crime-free society, the admiration of my son who says no one will takes the goods of others.

It was a mistake that a small person like me was Japanese. They have hick hair like thick wooden bushes in the mountains. They look healthy and handsome figures that appear to be mixed with other races. Wives talk to each other in quiet way and wear colorless neat clothes or take their kids home on bicycles after school. I did not hear the car horn or the ambulance sirens.

Supermarket goods are glossy and clean. I bought ice cream. The clerk asked me, “Do you want me to put it in dry ice?” My heart sinks at their kindness. I hear the words Sumimaseng (excuse me) and Arigato Gozaimas (thank you) constantly.

The community in the book "The giver", which I have read before, is constantly reminiscent of the life of the Japanese, who are tranquil and clean in a restrained life. Jonas, the main character in the book, lives in a perfect community without any pain or sorrow that he feels is under control. In the end, however, he escapes into a lonely and rough world where pain and joy coexist.

As time went by, I wanted to go back to New York that was rough and rugged as Jonas escaped from the perfect community. Did I get used to a tough and loud city?

No comments:

Post a Comment