Friday, January 1, 2016

Because of the winter solstice

It’s dark outside even though I got back from the morning walk. The husband said "winter solstice, that the shortest day of the year, my grandmother used to cook a red bean porridge. I wonder why my wife does not.” He looks at me with jaundiced look.

'If I know how to cook the red bean porridge, I would know the winter solstice.  

He walked away from me in the bright sun, and he walked beside me in the dark. When we wear in college in Seoul, we attended together the same classroom, but we didn’t even make eye contact for fear of getting involved in each other. When I came to New York it was not able to find single Korean person. I met him who was in New York through my acquaintance. We married like a Red Cross relief.

Now it is raining and snowing, but even if the wind blows, it has become a fate to walk together.

I’d say, I'll learn to cook the red beans porridge. Did I? It’s bothering me. I’ll keep my mouth shut.

My husband walking next to me seems to be getting smaller. I think I used to look up but I can see him at my eye level. He bent a lot and got old. It would have been very difficult to support the family.

Maybe I should cook the red bean porridge next winter solstice.

In the midst of so many artists on the street as homeless in New York City, he went through all sorts of hardships to survive an artist. Would not he have been with me as a partner rather than a wife?

'Once a year in a winter solstice, let’s cook red bean porridge to my partner and also wipe out evil spirits from the house. If I cheer up him the business will thrive, Right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment