Friday, April 4, 2014

Return to Manhattan after 30 year

At 4:23 am, there is a person who woke up like me in a building across the street. The light is on. I left Greenpoint, Brooklyn and can’t adjust to the new environment and wake up at dawn and look out the window. My husband says it feels like he's riding a cruise.

I returned to Manhattan after 30 years. I couldn't find a place to live when I got married, so my husband's roommate and three lived in Soho, Manhattan. With the soaring rent, the roommate moved to live in Seoul and we found a cheap place. It was precisely thirty years ago that we crossed the Williamsburg Bridge and moved to the factory building at the end of the East River in Greenpoint.

Once you leave the four main gates of old Seoul, it is hard to return to the inside of the gate again. My father left Namsan-dong, Jung-gu that is in the four main gates, and lived in Itaewon, where he was constantly complaining. I also mumbled, 'It's hard to go back to Manhattan which once I left.'

My children love Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Of course, they were born and raised there. And many young hipsters came. That's why my children don't want to go away to enjoy their youth as a hipster.

I thought they would leave home when they got a job after graduating from college, but they didn't moved at all. I had to leave because I didn't want to cook for them. I think I raised my children as much as I could. No matter how much my husband called me, I don’t respond right away but when my kids called me I responded as if the fish popped up on the chopping board. I put my youth and energy into the children and gave them my beloved nest.

There were a lot of young people moving into Greenpoint and cluttered around, so I was going to leave someday. I want to do what I want to do, and I want to live the rest of my life freely, of course with my husband.

"Come here if you guys want to eat Korean food." "Mom, be careful of cars when you cross the street. Don't just cross anywhere because you're busy." I've been listening to the nagging kids that I used to do these days. In their eyes, the little mom wandering the streets of Manhattan must be worried. They are nagging me to be careful. They hold my hand when I cross the street.

Do well yourself. I have paid college tuition, so there is no more. You take care of your wedding. I just go to the wedding as guest. Do not ask me to raise your children later. I've done my job for your upbringing.

As much as your life is precious, father and mom's life is also important.

No comments:

Post a Comment