Friday, December 20, 2013

A gloomy visit

'You have to have sure your father's going to give you the apartment. And you have to leave it notarized. Otherwise, it's complicated after his death. Can you do it? Do it today. You can't postpone it any longer. Okay.'

I could hear a woman talked to her husband in a nervous and earnest voice, sitting in the hospital lounge. Touching the phone nervously, the woman who had been thinking about something for a while left with a confident smile.

I went to Seoul to visit the hospital because my father was in an emergency. There was a caregiver 24-hour to take care of my father. I, who had nothing to do, was fascinated by the stories of people around me. The stories of people are all about money. It was how to make it for mine what is not mine.

I got used to living in New York where money is only talked to banks, I had to keep my breath down to hear this shady trick. The caregiver secretly enticed me by saying, "if you give me money, I will hold for your father to spend when he needs. Where did my father's fat wallet and bankbook go, which he always took out of his back pocket without hesitation, as if his leisure and humanity were coming out of the barn?

"Where am I going?" Every time he went for a physical examination, he would swing around with anxious eyes to see if he was left alone. Anxiety made him harder than sick. 'If he hold his wealth until his life is over, at least he won't be anxious'. It is a great trend in Korea these days that a greedy child is forced to let the sick old man to hand over his property to him.

I skipped dinner and came back to my lodging and fell asleep. The pain of having to be silent at the sight of my anxious father lost my appetite. I opened my eyes to a loud noise from my stomach. I have to eat something. I left the lodging with a hungry stomach and walked down the Garosu-gil in Sinsa-dong.

It was hard to even walk with the waves of young people snooping around the show window. I walked to a side road. The bar went on endlessly. Lots of people drunk and out of their mind. There's no place for me to go in. All are fresh young people.

I smell of the gutter coming up from the manhole in the roadbed sewer poking my nose. Everyone cries for money, money. I have to get out of this dark place and go back to the faraway.

No comments:

Post a Comment