Friday, May 17, 2013

You are welcome

"Mom, I ordered jjajangmyeon, but deliver man was standing outside my door and was surprised to come in the blink of an eye as if he delivered it. It's delicious, it's cheap and there's no tip." It's about a Skype call with a kid who went to Seoul.

My husband and I, who have poor English pronunciation, spoke only Korean while raising our children. Children have become accustomed to the Korean language as they got more favors only when they responded to it in Korean. However, it was not easy to teach Korean writing and reading. I was tired of teaching children who didn't want to learn. "Let's stop. Stop. What's wrong with not speaking and reading Korean? Just don’t blame me for not taught you guys later," I said, dozens of times.

An intolerable husband who was watching us hung the blackboard and said, “Kanadaramabasa" like Seodang, the children began to learn in earnest. When my husband emphasizes, 'There are countless letters in the world, but the only written alphabet with a history of accurate the author and timing' is Hangul,' the children seem to have learned in admiration.

My son must have been excited when he went to Korea. He read the restaurant menu, found what he wanted to eat, and enjoyed his meal. "How old are you? What do you do? Do you got to church? Whenever I go to the restaurant, they keep asking me. They also give more side dishes. Why do Koreans want to know about other are doing?" I answered, "In fact, Korean people have a lot of affection, so answer well. Don't get annoyed."

"Is there any Korean girl you like?" "Korean girl are different from the ones in New York. They are all similar in face and clothes. They want to wear the same clothes and shoes and couple rings as the man they date.  Mom, why do Korean women always try to be with boyfriends by talking like baby?" He also seemed embarrassed by the cultural differences of his peers in Korea that he experienced for the first time.

"Koreans are all kind. They said, "Don't be burdened and ask me if there's anything difficult." He knows how to say 'burden.' The son's pronunciation and use of words in Korean improved every time he spoke on the phone.

"Mom, if I speak English, tells me to speak Korean." It seems that he realized that knowing one more language, mother and father's native language, is just as important as being good at studying.

"Thank you, Mom, for teaching me Korean well." I was so thrilled that I lost my say that I kept silent and said, “you are welcome.”

No comments:

Post a Comment