Friday, January 11, 2013

Greenpoint carpenter Lee

'Drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr'. It starts again early in the morning. "Let's get some sleep." There's no day to be quiet, because my husband makes something almost everyday.

After giving birth to my first child I came home a few days later. He showed me a crib that he made and he told me to lay the baby down.

He rounded off all the corners that might hurt the child, and then gently disposed of them with sandpaper. "Wow! You made it well. It's pretty." Before long, the child grew up and the feet touched the end of the bed. My husband broke it and made a little bit large. When the second child was born, he made a crib again. Whenever children grew up, he dismantled the bed, made a single bed and a double bed.

The children grew larger. The room was not enough for two kids. He made beds under the ceiling and led them up the stairs, and in the space below they made desks and bookshelves.

"Would you like me to make the furniture?" I can't tell him that which furniture is good." "Please stop make. Let's buy some furniture." "With good tools and materials, I can make better furniture than the ones sell." He even draws a blueprint to show me. "That's enough. Let's get some rest now."

I grew up without seeing my biological father nailed a small nail. At first I was happy that he could make anything. But, when he looks around the room with smiling face, my heart fall "Why, do you try to break it and make it again? Let's stop." "That's not enough. I'm going to do as far as I can do."

He makes and I have to chase and clean up. "After the kids' tests. Let's just spend this winter quietly. Look at me. I can't get any more weight because I have to clean up." "You are so muscular. Keep moving and stay healthy."

When I sit up the place where my husband who is boiling like a furnace sat, the heat that he made often surprises me. He was unpopular with girls in college. But when our classmates went to a picnic in early winter, the girls were fussing to hold his hot hands because the girls are cold.

Whenever he gets a chance, he knocks on the desk with his fingers, wondering what to make and fix. There is no day to be quiet with the sound of the saws and drills.

I usually answer when I get a call looking for my husband. "He went to Home Depot," Most of his card bills were spent there. When he's not at home, people can find him at Home Depot on 50 Northern Blvd. in Queens.

No comments:

Post a Comment