Saturday, July 25, 2020

A bakery on a three-way street

If walk a little on the side road from Garosu-gil, Sinsa-dong, Gangnam, see a narrow three-way street. There is a graceful and plain bakery on the corner.

A young woman, not big or small, in a white uniform kneaded bread dough. She was a woman with a spotless white face under a cook hat, eyes without double eyelids and a bloodless lip. She was a woman in a quiet atmosphere that is likely to appear in the historical dramas. It was not easy to tell whether the white hands buried in the white dough is dough or hand.  She was into kneading bread dough as if she had been done since her previous life like meditating.

The white hand, awakened from a sweet dawn sleep to fill into bread dough with sweet contents, moved incessantly fast. She arranged the baked brown bread on the shelf.  I was enchanted her who were purity like the shape of a fine dough bread before entering the oven. I ran into her gaze. Quickly avoided her gaze. If I am born again, I want to be born in a form resembling her.

To get to my accommodation, I had to take the right road in front of the three-way bakery. I passed by the bakery at least three or four times a day. I could see the inside of the shop in the left window, and I could see her making bread in the right window. Another reason I looked at her again and again every time I went back and forth from the accommodation was that looking at her kneading makes my heart warm.

One day I went into the bakery. The combination of fragrant sugar and flour creates a vibrating texture. J. Brahms Symphony no.3, 3mov flowed. A tune was that tightens and loosens my chest and pulls me into a lonely autumn. The woman gave me a glance. Would it be an illusion to feel that her smile 'you won't be able to resist coming in?' I sat by the window looking the three-way streets. I like the three-way corner shops, because I can look inside the store on both sides, not on one side. If I sat by the window, also I can observe people passing by as if I was hugging the entire three-way street.

The bakery was cozy because the ceiling was low. The showcase lined with bread took over quite a bit. The only guests are two young women sitting inside corner. Behind the right side of the display case, she was making bread dough. My friend came in when I imagined, 'Maybe she's the owner of a bakery she runs herself?'

Unlike the usual loud noise, I was so immersed in the atmosphere that I could not help but whisper and carefully rip the flesh of the bread and ate it. Slowly, I picked up the coffee cup and drank it without making a sound. I listened attentively to friend's story and nodded elegantly.

"Hey, what's wrong with you? Why are you so quiet? Are you sick? What brings you to Seoul? Is something wrong with you and your husband? A friend asked me. I looked around and "Hey, can't I act a little sophisticated?" as soon as I was about to scream, the woman came out. Is she coming towards our table or not? I was confused. As I gulped down the scream that was about to fall from my mouth and lifted the cup of coffee gracefully, I smiled like the Buddha of Daewoong-jeon in temple.

No comments:

Post a Comment