Saturday, November 17, 2018

It was strange

A friend who lives in Los Angeles told me that she is going to come to New York a few months ago. I finally got a call saying she was on a plane. But from that day on, I had an upset stomach. I guessed I would get better after a days sleep. But it continued for several days. I could not get out of bed because I had no energy. As I was going to go out to shop, my legs were shaking so I lay back.

It seemed to be feigning illness to avoid a friend. She did not give up and called me to keep seeing me. The day was so cold. My friend was wearing a colorful coat given by friend living in New York, and her hair was almost shaved. When did we meet? It was probably ten years ago when she came to New York.

"You are not old at all. You dont even have wrinkles." She looked me, muttering. "Youve got your eyes badly damaged. Take a look carefully with your glasses. I'm too old. Both are comforted each other. 

Strangely. I was not sick and felt good. We walked arm in arm, old friendship pushes up from the bottom of my heart. I bought it because she wanted to eat nuts from the street. I wanted to buy everything she wanted to. She wanted to buy me a thick jacket because I wore thin clothes such cold day. We strolled through Manhattan. When we left the Modern Art Museum, it was already dark.

It was strange. A friend who had not smoked a cigarette often smoked. Then she looked blankly at the sky with a sad expression.

Suddenly she cried and stopped. Whats wrong with you?" My oldest son is dead. I lost a word to say. "Give me a cigarette." "The anniversary of son's death is coming. The cry that I have endured has been poured out." We leaned against the wall and puffed out smoke without saying anything. I wanted to burn the fields with burning cigarettes. If only could comfort her. My heart was sore, and tears grew.

I hold her arms tightly and walked silently without even thinking of going home on the dark night. As if she were trying to melt a bitter heart, she continued to want to have hot soup. We entered a Japanese restaurant and buried sad face on the shrimp udon and put the noodles in our mouth silently.

"I'm sorry I did not know it happened to you. Let's meet again. You have to live a healthy life to meet again." She leaned against the dimly lit alley wall and puffing smoke. I parted with her heavy shadow behind. My legs were as heavy and dull as if they were pulled out of deep mire

No comments:

Post a Comment