Friday, March 9, 2018

Live away from home

When I left my home and my family
I was no more than a boy
In the company of strangers
In the quiet of the railway station
Running scared,
Laying low, seeking out the poorer quarters

This is the lyrics of Simon & Garfunkel's 1969 hit song "The Boxer". It was my favorite song of my adolescence. At that time, I did not know the lyrics correctly. I just loved the sadness that popped out like a firecracker, and the sad tune that came from a deep place. Whenever I went the coffee shop and ask for this song.

Asking only workman's wages
I come looking for a job
But I get no offers

After a few decades, I listened carefully to the contents of the lyrics. It is a doleful cry that is as sad as our tough, tired lives and my story. When I was immature, I came alone to New York City in the city of art. I was looking for a cheap place to study abroad.

Then I'm laying out my winter clothes
And wishing I was gone
Going home
Where the New York City winters
Aren't bleeding me

I touched a coin in an old coat and looked for a job. New York 's harshness was hard to bear, so I wrapped my luggage several times.

In the clearing stands a boxer
Of ev'ry glove that laid him down
Or cut him till he cried out
In his anger and his shame
"I am leaving, I am leaving"
But the fighter still remains,

I was hurt and hurt. Like a boxer, it is wounded. However, I couldn’t leave New York City and sat in despair. And still “Lie la lie, lie la la la lie lie”

No comments:

Post a Comment