Friday, October 19, 2012

Happy Meal

A cathedral bell rang nine times. The pigeons that used to sit on the roof and enjoy the morning sunlight flew up into the gray sky. The pigeons that flew off chaotically flew in an orderly fashion looking for another roof at the right intervals.

My son has grown up watching people who make the sign of the cross on their breast In front of the local cathedral. Every time he passed by McDonald's next to the cathedral, he made the sign of the cross on his breast too. Then he would look at me with earnest eyes. His eyes said 'let me have a Happy Meal.'

Did the child know that his mother had no money to buy him a hamburger? He didn't kept nagging and only made the sign of the cross three or four times. Maybe he prayed God to make my mom and dad earns a lot of money and can buy a Happy Meal.

No matter how hungry, the child who has grown up, does not eat at McDonald's. Sometimes the appearance of a child looking into the menu is serious in front of an expensive restaurant. Isn't he making the sign of the cross on his breast?

When my child eagerly prays for Happy Meal, I also prayed. As much as I prayed, perhaps I raised my children with all my heart and supported my husband.

A long time ago, while touring downtown Mexico, I entered an old cathedral. A ragged woman grabbed the bar in the hallway wall, and sobbed with shook her shoulders. I saw me in this woman's desperate look.

While walking through crowded Manhattan, I enter the cathedral and pray in the back seat. The serene silence in the darkness relaxes me. Seeing the backs of those who pray, their eagerness became my longings and I unconsciously become pious.

I sit at the temple near Jongno, Seoul and pray while looking at the back of the women. It is only the difference between an Asian or a Western person, and godliness is the same as a church or a temple. I feel inclined to pray that all of their prayers come true.

I stops washing dishes and pray for thanks as I sees the scarlet geranium that rises through the green leaves of the window. I pray when I open my eyes in the morning and pray before I fall asleep. Everything I see, hear, feel, and think is just grateful.

I am not a religious person. However, it is not only my effort that I have come to the circumstances that I can afford to buy meals to my child at an expensive restaurant these days. The thought that there was clearly some unknowing care makes me keep praying for gratitude. How can I not thank! Thank god.

No comments:

Post a Comment