Friday, February 26, 2010

Yi clan of Jeonju, descendant of the Hyoryongdaegu

"Yi clan of Jeonju is coming." My husband whispers to me on the street. "Yi clan of Jeonju is cameing out." He can't pass it by watching TV.

"You are the 18th descendant of Boseong-gun, the Hyoryongdaegun of Yi clan of Jeonju." My father said to me six times a year at ancestral rites. But I don't care whose descendant I am. I am only interested in the fact that small people with drooping eyes like me are descendant of the Hyoryongdaegun of Yi clan of Jeonju. Most of the descendants of King Hyoryeong of Jeonju, who I have seen so far, are not so big and have drooping eyes.

When I was studying abroad in Garden City, Long Island, a small Oriental grandmother was looking at flowers in a flower garden by the roadside. I went up close and I said, "Hello." She looked up pleased at the sound of Korean. She had similar eyes to me. I asked about her last name. Sure enough, we are the same descendants," she said. I was invited to her house several times to eat Korean food and coaxed nostalgia.

I once visited to Watch Tower, the headquarters of the Jehovah and Witnesses in Brooklyn, because my friend had someone to meet. Seeing a man walking from a distance, he was a perfect Yi clan of Jeonju. "Maybe, are you Yi clan of Jeonju? He was so happy to say, "Yes!"

The descendants of Hyoryongdaegun of Yi clan of Jeonju are those who are able to guess their surnames by looking at their looks. Of course, some people have big eyelids, that perhaps they have been pushed back by a stronger dominant gene than Yi clan of Jeonju.

These days, where plastic surgery is frequent, it has become hard to find Yi clan of Jeonju. Young people, in particular, are neither happy nor interested in their ancestor. So when I meet someone who looks like a Yi clan of Jeonju, I just check their last name and nod my head to myself.

I called with courage, even though I often saw an article in the newspaper that said there was a meeting of Hyoryongdaegun's clan. The person who answered the phone said, "Men and women are meeting and go to the karaoke to strengthen their friendship. “Be sure to attend," he said kindly. He asked what my job is. ‘I’m an artist,’ said ‘The artist?’ He hung up the phone, saying, "If there is a regular meeting, I'll let you know."

I haven't heard from him since. He felt uncomfortable because I was an artist. Did he think the moneyless artist was calling to get help from clan gathering? I just wanted to check it out what I observer the figures of the Yi clan of Jeonju, descendant of the Hyoryongdaegun.

No comments:

Post a Comment