Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A bus to AC

It is easier for Asians to be close than Westerners.

In our neighborhood, where there are not many Asians, there is an Asian woman whom we sometimes encounter on the street. Big eyes and dark complexion are definitely not Korean. One day, she spoke to me first and became my friend. She is from the Philippines. Her husband is Polish and she has two daughters.

She is a competent woman to talk in Polish with a husband who is not good at English. Their relationship is also interesting. She came to the United States as a nurse, lined up at the immigration office and became close to a Polish man who was in the same line. And they got married in two weeks.

She worked as a nurse and took care of her husband business and became a full-time housewife when her husband's construction business went well. Not only in the Philippines, but also in our neighborhood, there are two buildings, and in Florida and Colorado, there are villas.

Her oldest daughter is a surgeon, and second daughter works for NASA. She raised her daughters well, too. When her second daughter was in a high school, she bought a house in Florida and gave her a flight-driving lesson. As soon as 9.11 went off, the FBI came to see her daughter the terrorists saying they had learned from the same flight-driving school as her daughter. "They'll know how many spoons we have in our house. These days, without secrets, the discomfort of the world has been rife," she said in a rambling tone.

I envied her life with a handsome, well-earned husband and two daughters who have outstanding beauty and work in a prestigious job. What could make her so rich? I want to know more about curiosity and meet often because there are many things to learn. But she also had a secret problem. The problem was that there was no worry, there was a lot of money and time, but she was nothing to do. She travel and go to cooking school, but she is not happy. So she called me from time to time. But then the phone stopped ringing at some point. Something interesting seems to have happened to her.

She has been busy going to Atlantic City. There are two buses a day to Atlantic City in our neighborhood. The fares are free, and play games and walk on the beach and go out for a bite to eat. She asked me to go there together. The mere mention of game scared me out of it. Since then, I haven't been able to see her more. One day, I was glad to meet her on the street. She said, that she was busy going to the Gamble Tournament in Las Vegas with complimentary plane tickets and hotel accommodation.

One day as I was walking down the street, I saw a picture of her building on sale in the real estate agency. I kept calling in case her house was passed over while gambling, but I couldn't reach her. Then I saw her walking down the street in her shabby clothes. She wore her hat deeply and even held a cane to see if her legs were uncomfortable. Could it be that she was flying property for gambling?

I read an article in a magazine about a woman's sad story that she has a mother, who lost all her fortune to gamble. Mom often disappeared. She found her mom sitting on the bus stop to Atlantic City with a blank look. Why does it remind me of a woman in a magazine sitting at a bus stop to Atlantic City every time I think of my friend?

No comments:

Post a Comment