Friday, January 12, 2024

The way to the temple

“Can’t you guys, who make good money, spend your money and travel with us?”
“We could do that, but I don’t think it would be as fun if we paid for the trip.”
This is an answer that makes me feel uncomfortable and think for a while. I also did the same way when I was traveling with my father, so who am I to blame? It's all my fault. 

We took the KTX from Seoul Station and went to Seomyeon, Busan in 2 hours and 30 minutes. From the first day, my husband insisted that we go to a seafood restaurant. It looked and tasted different from the seafood stew I tried in New York. A large pot filled with all kinds of seafood was placed on the fire. Living, breathing seafood was moving. The lady cut the wriggling octopus with scissors in the Mondogane style. The children lost their appetite and became quiet. My husband was drinking and talking excitedly. The children winked said,
"We are not to displease fatherBecause Dad pays all the travel expenses.."

We took the KTX and went to Gyeongju in 30 minutes. It was amazing to see huge round royal tombs spread out here and there. I don't think there is any other ancient site in the world that looks like this. Does it feel like looking back at our ancestors and past lives? I became solemn. We looked around Anapji and tried to rest in the forest. However my husband said "we had to see Bulguksa Temple," I said, to my husband who is rushing to Bulguksa Temple "Oh, traveling is suffering!" 

When I arrived at Bulguksa Temple, I remembered my childhood when I used to go to the temple with my mom. After my mom and the monk chatted for a while, my mom would hand over some money and the monk would hang a lantern with each family name on it from the ceiling. I eavesdropped from the sidelines, while the monk was busy, I asked. 
"Mom, why are you giving the monk so much money?"
"Don't you dare interfere in what the grown-ups are doing."
I was scolded and chased out into the temple courtyard, where I waited for a delicious temple meal with two side dishes and soup., guarding my mom's pretty white rubber shoes in case someone else wanted to wear them. 

A completely different scene awaited me than the temple I visited with my mother all those years ago. Although it is not even Buddha's Birthday, the inside of the temple is lit up in rainbow colors, so dazzling that it is difficult to appreciate the temple properly. There are pots of chrysanthemums with tags with the names of believers scattered throughout the yard. Not to mention under the roof, pillars were erected in the yard and colorful flags covered the sky. Bodhisattvas sat everywhere and received donations. The elegant Bodhisattva who managed them was busy doing business, jumping here and there, keeping an eye on people who might make donations.

I couldn't appreciate the temple properly because Tongdosa Temple in Yangsan, where I went yesterday, was also a fuss. ​At least the road to Tongdosa Temple along the stream was nice. I took off my shoes and walked down a quiet dirt road. The soles of my feet were very sore, but I tried it because I heard it was good for my body. When I entered the temple it made me frown too. Of course, I understand that a temple cannot be operated without money. However, the donation notes were fluttering in all directions, so much so that they obscured the building, and it was completely different from the secluded temple seen in the photos. Shouldn’t I be satisfied with just surviving those long years of suffering and protecting Hyanghwa?

No comments:

Post a Comment