Friday, May 19, 2023

You guys are spring to me

I occasionally chat on KakaoTalk with three friends (J, Y, M) who I often hung out with during my school days. Now J and Y live in Seoul and M and I live in the US. When J and Y, who lived in Anyang, went home by train after school, M and I, who were left behind, naturally became close. M was sincere and talented. She became a nurse, and her ability to take care of people around her was exceptional, so I think we became close because I relied on her and followed her around. 


Friend Y was good at Korean, and J was good at math enough to rank third in the whole school. M has excellent English skills. I was the worst at studying among them. M got married first and then Y did. I played with J and left Korea when she got married.


We meet and talk on Kakaotalk from time to time. When we talk about our old days, we can't remember well, so we wander around as if we were in a thick fog. The strange thing is that I, who was behind in schoolwork the most, especially hated memorization subjects, was the best at remembering the old days. When they were busy getting married, I, a spinster, would think back to my days with them. When I started writing for the newspaper, I got into the habit of looking through my childhood to see if I had any plausible memories to find a subject matter. If I try to remember something I didn't remember, it will appear as if I've found a hidden treasure. I remember where we went, the color of the clothes we wore that day, and the atmosphere at that time. to check my memory

“Do you guys remember?”

I start talking.

“I don’t remember. How do you remember everything from a long time ago? You must be a genius.”

A friend told me. As I focus on the old days to find material for writing, I see what was hidden as the curtains of memories are pulled back. I find the skeleton of a sentence and flesh it out, forcing it to form a sentence. 


Isn't it because I can remember clearly because I put my memories in an airtight container and then open it from time to time due to some occasion? Conversely, wouldn't the friends have faded as if they were worn out, buried in the successive daily lives of the past?


"If I had found this when I was studying, I would have been an honor student, and my situation would have changed."

I said wistfully to my husband.  

"If you had studied well, you wouldn't have met me. Because I couldn't study either."

My husband replied with a tone that told me how blessed I was to have met him because I was not a good student.

I met a artist with no money and no job and married him without thinking about it. And as I live without expectations for my husband, I think my constitution that comes with great joy even if a small good thing happens played a part.

No comments:

Post a Comment