Friday, April 7, 2023

An annual event

Last week, my family went to the accounting office. We were 40 minutes early for our appointment. 

"Mom, why do you always come early? Is it because grandfather taught you to go earlier than the appointment time since you were young?"

My eldest son whined.

"It's a habit, but there's actually a bigger reason. Do you know what it is?"

I look at their faces, and they shrug in confusion. 

"Because I want to see your faces a little more, and I want to talk more with you guys."

They are quiet, as if they agree with me. I suggested we go into the Dunkin' Donuts across the street and talk and wait until our appointment time.


My sons are so busy making money, traveling, going on dates, working out, and going to parties. I don't call my young and busy sons. Since I don't call, they do it themselves. 

"Mom, my friends don't answer their parents' phone calls. Because their parents tell them they're sick. Ask them to send them the money and buy something for them. But thank you for not giving us a hard time."

Oh, my God! Is that advice to be careful? From now on, I should shut up.


I don't even ask them to meet with me, except once a year when we go to the accountant's office together to file our taxes. My sons like our accountant and his office staff, who have been doing our taxes for years and are always quick to respond when we call. How fortunate I am to be able to see my children's faces thanks to my loyal accountant. 


I want to stay with my sons for a long time, so I'm in a hurry on the day I go to see the accountant. I get excited like I'm going on a date.  When they were younger, my husband would drive and I would smile at them sleeping in the backseat. Now it's the other way around, when the younger son is driving, the elder son is helping him. Looking back and asking if there is anything uncomfortable. They hold my hand when I get out of the car, and when we walk down the street. The positioning of us and our children has changed. We listen to what they say and follow them around.  


We come out of the accountant's office and have lunch. Then we went to the Korean market. Of course, my husband pays for the accounting, lunch, and grocery shopping. To get along with busy children, I can only hope that they are happy without asking for anything in return. 

“You know how happy it is to be able to do something for your child without asking for it.”

As my father did for me, I am following. Still, I don't know. How they feel deep down inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment