Saturday, January 15, 2022

Throw away, empty, and fill up

 There was a woman I've only met three times in my life. She was my husband's older brother's wife's sister. At her first meeting, 
“There is no furniture in the house.” 
She glanced around my home and spit it out with the tone of living a miserable life. 

 Many years later, I met her for the second time. 
“Do you still live there?” 
It was a tone of asking if you still live in a place without any decent furniture. How if deep was that scene engraved on her head, would she be able to say that? 

The third meeting was on the passageway to take the plane. 
"I'm taking the first class, so excuse me." 
As soon as she crossed the threshold of the plane, she turned to the first class on her left and disappeared. I was going to chat with her for the long flight time to Seoul, but regretfully I turned to the right. I have never encountered her anymore. Because her sister died. It's a relationship I've met three times in my life, but sometimes when I think about it, a bitter smile comes out. 

 My house is still empty without a sofa like when the two women came in the old days, Is there anyone who hates buying things like me? Just imagining that the things I buy would pile up and turn into a trash can made It's because my head is thrilling. 

 As I was looking around my home in October of last year, I suddenly felt the urge to throw away all the things I had in the house. Let's throw them away. There is nothing to regret about throwing it all away. First, I painted the inside of the apartment door a warm chick color and started organizing the house. Don't waste time and energy cleaning household items. Let's replace them with new ones. 

 I really like IKEA things very much. I like the simple color and design. The price is also so good that can throw it away without regret. It is a company that praises interior designer friends. However, all of the furniture that I was willing to buy has been sold out at six nearby IKEA. Even after waiting for three months, the desired item did not come in. I gave up and bought some of the things from IKEA. 

 It's not easy to replace all household items. When I buy it, there is something I forgot, so I repeat going back and forth to IKEA. Rubbing my eyes, I looked at the assembled drawings and tried to assemble them. It is also not easy to disassemble and dispose of old furniture by unscrewing it. I don't think I can do this when I get older, so I make my mind not to buy it. However, I am heading towards IKEA. I think I understand a little bit why people are addicted to shopping. 

 Leaving New York where it is likely to snow, and going on an expedition across the river to IKEA in Paramus, New Jersey, I tremble diligently from the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment