Saturday, October 30, 2021

Thank you, my two sons

 "Is he your eldest son?" 
"No, second." 
"He is good at Korean." 
“He was afraid he would forget Korean, so calling and talking to me once a week seems to be helpful.” 

 I was talking with a friend in the park. I got a call from my second son. This is the content of a conversation my friend asked me as I was discussing with him whether to buy more Index Funds. 

 I have told my children to speak in Korean since they were babies. Because I spoke only in Korean, my English did not improve, but my children speak Korean very well. 

 After they graduate from college and start earning money, the eldest son regularly orders and sends me a water filter, vitamins C and D3, sunscreen and moisturizing cream, and 24 Ensure per month from Amazon. He also added brown rice to a word that seemed to pass by saying that buying rice is heavy and difficult. Instead, I told him to skip Mother's Day and birthday presents. 

 The second son invests and manages our couple's Vanguard Index Funds (S&P 500, all stocks included in the market index). I feel like I'm benefiting from the major of the son who studied while grumbling that was not fun. 

 “Mom, if you want to do stocks, you have to have a relaxed personality. If you feel comfortable holding it for a long time, you earn. However, while investing in individual stocks can make a lot of money, you have a higher chance of losing it. And can’t live daily life comfortably because of the stress of buying and selling and worrying about it.” Following his words, I ask him how much it went up or down twice a year, and record it. Even he manage our couple's finances, so special day gifts were omitted. Rather, on special days, I treat them and say thank them. 

 The second son helped his older brother invest in stocks, and as they played together, his friends became the same. The two are best friends. 

 My husband and I do not interfere with their affairs at all. Even if they quit their jobs, we encourage them unconditionally no matter what kind of woman they date. The conversation between our family continues calmly and peacefully like water flowing without friction. 

 What will happen if the two sons marry? Could it be that their wives are breaking the peace by going up against the calm waters? They'll do well on their own, but I can't guarantee it. Is the reason why they only date and have no intention of getting married, and I don't even talk about their marriage is that I'm afraid of breaking the peace?

No comments:

Post a Comment