Saturday, February 6, 2021

Scattered souls

 “A bad person lives longer than a good person.” 
This is what sister-in-law said about my father, who lived 30 years longer than my mother. My mother who died earlier than father was a very good person. The mother silently extended her helping hand without ignoring the difficulties of her own brothers and sisters, as well as relatives and neighbors. I have never seen my mother shout and get angry. Whenever my father expanded his business, my mom gave him the money she had saved while making a frugal living, which pleased the father. 

 “If I die and meet your mother, will I be scolded?” 
"Do not worry. Mom's a nice person, so I'm sure she's somewhere else from you, you'll not meet her” “Write 'Why did I become this way?' on my tombstone.” 
“You said you want to be cremated.” 
Before my father died, it was a bitter joke I shared with him, who was lying in the hospital. 

 My mother-in-law lived 14 more years after my father-in-law died. I really liked my father-in-law who was quiet and gentle. He used to observe what our couple needed and then helped. Besides, he was more handsome than a movie star. Before I got married, I went to greet my in-laws in LA, met the father-in-law and decided to get married. Unfortunately, the mother-in-law is so dominant gene that it is unfortunate that there are no their children who resembles the appearance and character of the father-in-law. 

 "Mother-in-law, you are very lucky. How nice is it to live with someone as handsome and well-earned person as your husband?" 
“You are right.” My mother-in-law admitted, but she complained that she didn't want to even watch the youngest sister-in-law, who lived close to her, holding a memorial service for father-in-law. 
"Mother, then I'll bring the father's memorial service.” 
"That would be great.” 
My husband never forgets his father's ancestral rites. If I only prepare fish pancakes and soup, a simple ritual is held with fruit, coffee, and wine. The husband bows and sits in front of the table for a while, if he is talking to his father. Even when celebrating the New Year on a cruise, he also does his father's ancestral rites by next to the veranda where the blue seawater is fluttering with fruits and foods bring from a buffet. 

 My mother-in-law also passed away recently. 
"Since we're doing your father's ancestral rites, let's put one more spoon on it and let's do your mother's." “Mom's does by brothers in LA, and we only do father's.” 
"In the end, also parents-in-law can't meet each other like my parent. Do they really need to be together in the other world? Now they can feel free to be in a convenient place as they wish!”

No comments:

Post a Comment