Friday, February 4, 2011

An artist's child

People are interested in where artists came from and where they started drawing. But it doesn't matter where you start and where you come from, but where it ends. There is a shadow between the beginning and the end, says artist Marlene Dumas from Cape Town, South Africa.

I saw the exhibition of Marlene 'Dumas’ Measuring your own grave,' which claims that the canvas itself is the coffin of the character she wants to draw, with my child at the Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art.

When mom and dad drew, so did my child. If I drew with a brush, he wanted to draw with a brush. If I use color, my child also uses color. The child drew at everywhere, as well as at home. Drawing at the restaurant was good for my couple to eat quietly. I always carried the ingredients. But without them he drew it on napkin with a ballpoint pen.

The drawings, which was only drawn with lines, took the form of circles and squares, and began to draw dinosaurs, and moved to sharks in the sea and tigers in the forest. The soft lines became as it drew images of the war, including tanks and planes, adding sound of bombing and gunshots.

I have never taught the child how to draw or the child asked me how to draw. The child drew what he wanted to draw and I only put various materials beside him. As he grew up, he also collaborated on the corner of my paintings. As a teenager, he moved to cartoons.

He started drawing from the moment he knew how to grab a pencil, took an art high school exam, and was accepted into a school. So I expected him to major in art. But he said, "I'm not going to go to art school and drawing is something I can do without education."

"Wouldn't you regret it later?" I persuaded him, but he said, "I'll never regret it. I hate artists. Artists are losers who just take a form without substance." This is not wrong.

The college also chose a major far from art. But after entering college, he started taking courses on art such as drawing and photography. The minor subject also chose a related to film. He didn't sleep until dawn to draw and post it on his blog.

"I think the artist is one of the coolest jobs!" One day, a welcome sound came from the child's mouth. But from my mouth, "So what are you talking? Do you want to change your major now? What you mean? “The child was trying to say something and said, "No, I'm just saying it."

Looking at the wandering child, should I give the child another chance, as Madeleine Dumas says, 'It's not about where you started, but how you end up.'

No comments:

Post a Comment