Friday, December 30, 2022

Are you Korean

It was a gloomy day that looked like it was going to rain any minute. A red umbrella was in my husband's hand. I went into the bathroom next to Cologne Cathedral in Germany. An Asian woman among the people in line asked me

“Are you Korean?”

“Oh, to meet a Korean. Nice to meet you. Are you on the Viking Cruise?”

I asked.

"Yeah. I saw you on the cruise, but you are so quiet so I didn't talk to you. Let's have the dinner together”

“I didn’t say hello to you because I didn’t think you were Korean.”


We had dinner with her and her husband that day. She came from Alabama and her husband is American.

"Where are you from?"

“In New York.”

“What kind of business do you do?”

“I don’t do business. We are both artists.”

“I thought most Koreans in New York were doing business.”

"Yes, on the last cruise, an American old waman asked me what my job was, so I said I am an artist, and I laughed when she asked me if I am a nail artist. Most Americans also think that Koreans do business."


"I think you are the youngest person on this cruise.”

I said to her.

"I've had a lot of plastic surgery on my faceI and put on a lot of makeup."

“I didn’t know you had plastic surgery because you look so natural.”

Her plastic surgery was natural, and the makeup was well done. I'm envious of her thick hair tied up on the back of her head. She is younger than me, her belly is not protruding and she is slim. If I could have plastic surgery on my face naturally like her, I would want to do it too.


"Why don't you do some renovations your face , too?"

My husband told me.

"Why do you keep telling me to repair my face?" Are you so disgusted to look at me?”

"Go to Korea and make your eyes bigger. Can you see well with those little eyes?"

"Even if my eyes are small, I can see everything. Cataract surgery is more urgent than eye plastic surgery."


“My husband is blunt and doesn’t talk, but when he gets drunk, he brags a lot.”

I tell her and she adds.

"My husband brags more. He starts talking as soon as he wakes up in the morning and chatter all day."

Her husband intercepts my husband before my husband finished talking. 

‘My house size is 7000 scarce fit, and as a Porsche car collector, I once had 9 cars, but now I have 4 cars. There is a garage that can fit all that many cars, and there is even a lift to raise and lower the car.


After having dinner with them twice, my husband said,

"I don't want to eat with that team"

"Don't do that! I like her honesty. She doesn't pretend to be arrogant. It's refreshing to say everything she wants to say without paying attention to other people's eyes. Let's have dinner together unless they push us away because they don't like us. Just until we get off the cruise. Please."

No comments:

Post a Comment