Saturday, October 3, 2020

At the time I did

Her name was Sangsook. I don't know the last name. When I first heard her name, I was a junior in middle school. It must have stuck in my ears because adults said, 'Sangsook,' and aunts said, 'Sangsook bitch.' That's weird. I can't remember the names of the men I met before my marriage, but I can't forget the names of my father's mistress forever! 

The apartment complex, which was arrived by the enthusiastic aunts dragging my mother and pushing me, was not very big. When I looked up at the dark gray apartment building, I felt like I was encountering a giant monster. My feet couldn't be lift, so I hesitated and looked around to hide somewhere. At that time, on the right mound, three or four blue delivery vans stood out. Why did the delivery van rental shop stand out in my eyes? 

The aunts, who did not know the apartment number, pushed me on the back to press the apartment bell from the right side of the first floor of the building. 
"You have to take care of your sick mother. Do take the lead. Ring the bell for each apartment until find it," 
The aunts alternately slapped me on the back and pushed me. 

The scene where the younger aunt stood on tiptoe and grabbed Songbooks’ hair and the elder aunt rushed in and beat her like a beast is clear, but I hope readers will imagine it. 

"Stop it now. You guys are going to kill her. Can't you please stop?” 
In a feeble voice, the mother shouted to the aunts. 
"You're a poor fate, too. Let's go to my house and live with me. I'm ill and can't take care of the children properly, so you can help me." 
The thought that the fight would end only when the blue delivery van came, suddenly hit my head. 
"Mom, on the way here, there are three or four vans nearby. Shall I ask the driver to take the luggage here and go home?" 

Mom said nothing. However, she looked as if things would not be resolved without doing so. I ran to the delivery van rental shop. I came back with a driver in a van and roughly loaded Songbooks’ luggage. Then I sat in the passenger seat and guided driver to my house. My monotonous childhood ended that day. 

Aunt Sangsook lived with us for some time. She is tall and very thin. And she was good person. In the morning, she would put the pocket money in the crevices of wrapping my lunch box and smiled sadly saying to have a good day at school. She got along well with my virtuous mother. However, there were some people who resisted living with her. Knowing my mother's heart, she left my father. It was the end with her when I heard that my mom got her a lease in Sangdo-dong and sent her monthly living expenses. 

The incident did not leave a scar on me. These days, just as people have mastered the wisdom of life through Corona-19, rather, I have learned how to fly in a better direction whenever I get hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment