Saturday, December 15, 2018

Senior Center

Someone can’t even sneeze in front of me. I feel seem to I’ll sneeze out, and I'm actually following. When I was in school, my partner was sick and I suddenly got sick too, I would leave early school. It must be an unusual physical happening anyway.

A social worker, a friend of my neighborhood, told me about the senior center. I was surprised at the word "senior" which I thought was unrelated to me. "We are already seniors." However, as soon as friend’s word fell, I was curious and I made a list of senior centers and started visiting them from on that day.

From West 71st Street in Manhattan, I started looking under Columbia University. After the physical examination, the doctor said that my bones were weak and suggested yoga. I focused on whether a yoga class.

I entered a senior center in the 76th Street. The food smelled from the entrance. People waited in line. The line was to get ticket for lunch. I got a ticket after paying $ 1.75 as a guest. It is number 45. First of all, I tried to observe the atmosphere while eating.

I took the tray and sat at the table. A skinny woman, who was speaking from the entrance, sat opposite. Then, two grandmothers sat on the side. The woman sitting opposite me is combination of Puerto Rican and Spanish, and grandmother next me is a mixture of Turkey and Italian. Grandmother, who sat diagonally, was a Russian Jewish.

I had too much sheep and I could not eat half of them, but they ate all of them. When they saw the food I left, told me to bring container and take to home eat it as a dinner. They eat lunch and dinner here and eat breakfast elsewhere. They say, there is no need to cook at home. I have to cook for my husband. They told me to pack the food up and go. It is a typical New York pragmatism.

The grandma opposite me kept on talking about senior center trip that she doesn’t want to go because the elderly don’t act fast on their trip. Sitting on the diagonal, the grandmother kept on speaking at me, even though she was clumsy in English and could not understand her pronunciation. It must be lonely elderly people who will not open their mouths all day long. In addition, their ears were not good, and my throat became sore when I responded loudly. My head was pounding. Old people can’t stop talking like the Great Wall of China. It is incomparable to Korean grandmothers. I could not help getting up first. Well, I do not know if I'll go there again.

After eating, I visited three or four more places and I found the place to learn yoga. However, I hesitate to go there. I had the illusion that I didn’t get old and had nothing to do with seniors. There must be a deep-seated feeling in my heart that I don’t want to admit to growing old with them

No comments:

Post a Comment