Friday, October 19, 2018

Cosmos and Paengju

A smiling Paengju’s husband, who seemed to embrace the universe, climbed silently up to the floor with a large thermal barrel. We call him the universe and call his wife Paengju. Paengju is a person who makes a tea and gives it away.

The rain is pouring down the windows as if to wash away the sticky of last summer days. In the cozy interior, I drink a tea while watching the rain that seems to be dancing. 'What more can I hope for?' I forget everything.

If the Paengju pours the Dami tea, lift it with both hands and drink it in three portions. When the cup is empty, pour again. The coconut macaroon she prepared is also delicious. On a rainy day, it is just my style to find a warm and comfortable place like a cat and to sip wine and tea.

I didn’t even know what a Paengju was. Not even make a coconut macaroon. I am a woman who is just drowned in the atmosphere.

Moreover, today is a writing meeting with some of my favorite friends. It’s just a group of people who read whatever they want to write and talk to each other.

I was nervous whether I was chasing time or time is chasing me. I grabbed a cup that was handed to me by Paengju and brought it close to my mouth and I returned to old days back because of the fragrance of tea. The Paengju who look like a young monk holds soft eyes on the cup and slowly lifts up the fine hands to fill the empty cup. When the tea stays in the nose and goes to the mouth and sweeps through the throat, it feels like the things that I hold so tightly that I don’t miss are falling apart. Why am I so obsessed with things that are useless?

'How are these and how are they?
How about the Mangsu-san Deureongchi intertwined?' 

The next meeting is with a Puer tea. The universe will put up a large thermal barrel, and Paengju will pour Puer tea in my cup. On that day, I must watch tea ceremony properly.

What if I do not know tea ceremony?
What if I do not write well?
Leaning on the back of the village shrine
As Mangsu-san Deureongchi intertwined
It's entangled with friends, and we can sip tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment