Friday, December 29, 2017

Chandler method

I'm already hungry for how long it has been since breakfast. I put cheese, an apple and an avocado on the bread, and put it in my mouth. I drank a cup of tea. Lying on the rug at the fullness, looking up at the ceiling, what will I draw today?

Yesterday I finished a work called 'The Trail'. What is the 'trail'? Past memories, time spent, left marks. I was scratching with white paint on the canvas. It would have to be drawn on a little dark background. No, It does not have to be clear. The trail is faded and disappearing.

Suddenly, during the work, the bill that gas, electricity, telephone, credit card, insurances, and mother-in-law’s expenses popped into my mind. I put the brush. The sun has gone down since bill was cleared.

It is time for my husband to return. I diligently cut the pickled cucumbers well at precise intervals, but why can’t I make a good piece of work? I blame myself as the mother of Han Seok-Bong, whose job was cutting rice cakes, was blaming her son to do well. I make an excuse that I can't make a good piece of work because eating and living followed me like a shadow. 

Let's immerse in the work with the Chandler method read by writer Murakami Haruki essay.

"First of all, Chandler says to fix a desk. And on top of that, there are manuscripts and fountain pens. You have to keep a position to work at any time. And then sit in front of the desk for a certain amount of time for example, in two hours. Of course, if you can’t write for the last two hours, there is no problem. However, writing is not a very easy, and sometimes you can’t write a line. Sometimes you want to write but you do not write properly, you get irritated and you do not want to write anything from scratch. Or intuitively, there are days when you realize that it is better not to write anything today. What should you do in such cases? Chandler says to sit in front of the desk anyway, even if you can’t write a line. You can just be idle without doing anything. Instead, you should not smoke. Do not read books, rummage through magazines, or listen to music. If you want to write it, you should be ready to write it at any time. If you keep doing so you may not be able to write a line at the moment, but it will come back someday. There is nothing to be gained by doing irrational and unnecessary work. This is the Chandler method. I like this method relatively,” said Haruki Murakami.    

'Yes, let me introduce the Chandler method to my work. But I have to prepare dinner tables for my husband right now. Let's do it from next day.

I hope it doesn't end in three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment