Friday, November 17, 2017

The reader's curiosity

The atmosphere of the dormitory was stirred and left one by one. The school was empty. I snooped inside the closed cafeteria. I came back to my room ate the chocolate that rolled around the room. Thanksgiving in Long Island Garden City, which was first greeted in the United States, is remembered as a hunger.

Bing alone in an empty room was like lying in the dark in a coffin. I hovered around the school, walking on leaves that had been tracked down in late fall. I glanced at the neighbors gathered in the fireplace through the lighted window. My heart was filled with loneliness.

It was the day I don’t hesitate to run if someone calls me. If someone invited me, I don’t mind listened to the conversation in the living room, put my hand-dipped in warm water, and washed dishes in the kitchen. It was a time when there were no people to call and no place to go.

‘I do not like the end of the year because I am tired of many events. It was such a tiring holiday that I wanted to be hospitalized. I do not want to meet family members who can’t speak English well. I was planning to visit my parents' house during the Thanksgiving holiday, but I was hesitant that my mother-in-law will get angry.’ The complaints are pouring out from the mouths of daughter- in- laws every holiday season.

Those are the complaints that I should hear if my two sons get a wife. Would it be possible to get off the hook if I see my daughter-in-law only once or twice a year when she wants it? If I pay the cost and the whole family sits around a cruise restaurant on a holiday, is it still the case that a daughter-in-law wills complains? She doesn’t want to go on a cruise with her parents-in-law, she wants to go to her family and spend a holiday with them. But if the old parents-in-law is at home, she feel sit on a thorn cushion, so we're supposed to disappear.

Bad luck? Is it good? Our sons do not seem to have any intention of getting married. I don’t mind, even if they get married or not. I was married because so lonely in my study abroad life, but do my sons who are busy and happy with their lives need to get married?  

“Your sons would have been pretty old. Why, Aren’t they married yet?” My story’s reader wondered when I met her last time. I said “I am late for marriage and I have children after a long time.” But I was more embarrassed by unexpected reader’s curiosity.

Anyhow, I am thank for reading my article in newspaper and for her interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment