Friday, March 24, 2017

Like a rhino's horn

Across the river, New Jersey is blazing with the morning sun. When I lived in Brooklyn I walked along the East River. After moving to Manhattan, I walk at Riverside Park.

On the Brooklyn East River, I was greeted with a smile by the morning sunshine with lively, slender young people.

Most people at Riverside Park take a walk with their dog. When dogs meet each other, they get tangled and cluttered, but people avoid gazing even if they are reluctant to meet my eyes. Because we are Asian? Or is it like the neighborhood? I am confused.

My husband says, “I don’t feel welcome to Asians,” But in my mouth 'good Morning' comes out habitually. In order to adapt to the new environment, we should not touch the plantings of those who came first, as we should not take the stones that have been rolled up and take their place. They also have their own customs and reasons.

My father said, “you should do well to your neighbors than your parent, brother and sister who see each other on certain day but neighbors meet every day.

Thirty years ago, when I moved to Greenpoint in Brooklyn, there are many Hispanic small stores, which are located every three or four blocks, were lined with jobless neighborhoods all day long. Those who like to be ridiculous, they call us ‘Chino’ with booby sounds.

Over the years, as the neighborhood changed, many small stories were lost and there was one left across the one block away. Sometimes when we stop by, some of the welcoming old faces that are still visible at time call us as Mr. Lee and Mrs. Lee. But here at Riverside Park there is no eye-catcher.

We prefer to walk towards Colombia University rather than walk towards the 70 Street. If I walk on a dirt road, I suddenly feel like walking on a country road where I relax my body as if I am getting natural gear from my feet.

Every time I see an elderly person walking slowly as the body is seated on one side, it becomes as if I see my future. Thirty years have walked along the East River. Will the remaining 30 years of living to the age of 90 be able to walk along the Hudson River health? I have to go alone like a rhino's horn.

No comments:

Post a Comment