Friday, May 20, 2016

Lunchbox for masterpieces

My husband who carries a lunch box with him in the morning is happy. I also feel comfortable all day when he takes his lunch.

My husband grumbled that he was not tall because he could not have lunch properly while attending an elementary school in suburbs of Seoul in the 1960s. In a poor neighborhood, only about 20 percent of the students packed lunch, and the rest went out to the playground to drink tap water to fill their hunger!

Every time I hear the story that he has chewed a handful of acacia flowers and caught yellow locusts and roasted to eat it. Perhaps the kimchi was wrapped in a side dish of a lunch box, so could it be that picky husband never carried it?

When the mother of same class, who sells sesame oil in the local market, brought the hot pot noodles in the lunch time, the children looked at their envious eyes and went out of the classroom. The friend, who was backed up by her mother 's devotion, became a school’s honor student and later became a doctor.

If I pack a lunch with great care like a friend of a sesame oil business mom, will my husband who is an artist make a masterpiece? Even though I packed his lunch hard, 'Oh, I'm the one who packs lunch at this age!'

Whenever I pack his favorite kale miso soup, he said with a grin  'Walking with a hot kale miso soup, it's good for winter, but what about mid-summer? How come soybean paste soup that he has eaten all his life is so good without getting tired?

"What do you pack for your lunch?" I barely get my head by the worries all night and stares at my husband with a blank hand. 'You'll take a rest today, I'll have a sandwich.' I promise I'll pack it tomorrow."

No comments:

Post a Comment