Friday, March 25, 2011

What's a green card?

"I think the older son is going to get married!" "Suddenly married?" The older brother-in-law, who was lost his wife seven years ago, has been lonely without a date. A lady is in a hurry to marry him. From what I've heard, the woman to marry doesn't have a green card. The atmosphere in the house was filled with suspicion that she was trying to marry because of his American Citizenship.

I am indifferent to family affairs, but I cannot help but meddle in this marriage. "Mother, never let anyone in family bring up the subject of a green card in front of her." I also came to study abroad and got a green card through marriage. Of course I won't deny that I was in a hurry.

I went to Los Angeles to marry. After greeting elders, on the way to the dining room to eat with family, and the younger father-in-law called me up for a moment and stared at me with a look of absurdity. Aren't you trying to marry my nephew because of his green card?"

I could not move as if whole body were paralyzed as if I had been a blow as soon as the boxer climbed onto the ring. I am treated like this because I am alone in a strange land, away from my parents. Should I will get married by even hearing this? I put up with what I wanted to finish, and I cried in the shower.

"I like the Seoul lady who is friendly," said her taciturn father-in-law from Hamkyong-do, who always kicked her tongue with the typical North Korean women’s rugged, rough manners. Thank you for marrying our humble son." If it wasn't for his kind words, no matter how urgent a Green card was, did I get married?

How the two brothers from the same grandmother's womb were so different. His daughter-in-law divorced his son because of his harsh way of speaking. He did not attend his daughter's wedding because he was unhappy with her daughter marriage to an American. Every time I went to LA after my marriage, I had to hear another harsh sound for no reason. Sometimes my father-in-law beside me and defended me by saying, "Why are you talking nonsense to my child?" Or I pretended not to hear it and avoided it.

The younger father-in-law came to Seoul across the 38th parallel on foot, carrying a bundle of dried Pollack before the Korean War. He immigrated in the early 70s and went through a lot of hardships and succeeded. But in his later years, his investment in Las Vegas was wrong. He was worrying a lot and he died in the middle of the night from insomnia. He's been buried in the hot sand of Nevada. How could he say so many harsh things?

"Can't you make a green card to someone who doesn't have? Aren't marriages making up for each other's absence? Even if she ran away with a green card, at least they would live together for two or three years, and just think you helped the poor girl. 

Of course, it is true that without a green card, it is inconvenient and uneasy. But would marry only for a green card? My husband and I put aside ten tasks and boarded the plane to attend the wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment