Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A doctor's wife, an artist's wife

My cousin, a doctor, got married through a matchmaker. Even though they were married only on condition of each other, they live well together as if they were meant to be.

When I was old enough to get married, my father also put my name on the matchmaker's notebook that my cousin married. The matchmaker came home. She looked around the house and took notes asking questions. She looked up and down me and asked how tall I was.

"I’m 153 centimeters tall." "Other conditions are fine, but your height’s the problem! I'll record it as 156 centimeters, so you will wear high shoes on the day you meet a man."

I got a call from matchmaker to see a man who is a doctor. I wore new clothes, put on high shoes, and went to see the man with uncomfortable steps. The man was silent. I'd like to talk over a drink, but my opponent stood up without dinner. I guess he's not interested in me.

A few days later, I got a call from the matchmaker. "Why don't you get married on condition that you buy and give him an apartment?"

My father said, “Would you like to buy an apartment and marry a doctor? Don't you? I'll do what you want.” Maybe the matchmaker weighed the doctor and me, so I had to put an apartment on top of it to make the extra balance. I looked into my father's eyes and said, "No." My father's face suddenly brightened.

I met a college classmate in New York who lives alone without getting married because his lover's parents opposed him. His younger sister also majored in painting, so she became friends after hanging out. "He's my brother, but it's hard to marry an artist. If you want to continue painting with your major, you have to marry someone who can support you financially."

Eventually, she married a doctor successfully.  However, I who have to buy an apartment so I can marry a doctor had no choice but to choose a artist as my husband. But marrying an artist is not as bad as I thought!

As I always living in the mood of painting, I was able to grab the brush back naturally. I took the ingredients from his studio and drew a small picture at the kitchen. When my husband emptied the studio, I drew on a huge canvas and relieved of my stress.

Not to mention the mood for painting, there were many excuses under the name of the artist's wife. His parents, siblings and relatives did not harass me. They thanked me for just living with him because they had to help me if they harassed me wrong.

I felt confident and at ease, because "if it goes well, it's because of me, if it goes wrong, it's because of my husband's job as an artist.

The sister-in-law, who is married to a doctor, draws in the garage while buying a house and raising children. If people know she is the doctor's wife at a small meeting, the next day, she get a phone call saying, "What should I do my child has a fever?" If her relatives are sick, contact her and ask her to help them. She is afraid to meet people because she is sorry for her husband.

Thinking of a marriage I almost had with a doctor on the condition of an apartment, the answer to my father’s proposal "No" did make me free like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment