Friday, October 7, 2022

A encounter leads to another encounter

As if to prove that I'm old, I find and watch movies in which old people are the main characters. I want to gain wisdom through their lives in order to finish the rest of my life well.

I watched the film Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont, 2005), which took place between January 1960 and late autumn.

An old woman abandoned by her family lives in a hotel in London where the elderly are staying. One afternoon she fell down on the street. A poor young aspiring novelist living in an underground apartment sees her fall, heals her injured leg and takes her to the hotel. To thank the young man, the old woman invites him to dinner to build a friendship, and finds out that they have a lot in common.

The young writer went to the video store to rent the old lady's favorite movie, Brief Encounter (1974), starring Sophia Loren and Richard Burton. Encounters a young woman who picks up the video first, creating another encounter and the two become lovers. The young man writes a novel based on what the old woman told him about the Claremont Hotel.

It is a story in which kindness and encouragement that is not excessive grows, changes life, and changes fate.

The day after I saw the movie, I stopped by Whole Foods Market and waited for the traffic light to change at the crossing on the way home. The black clothes the boy standing next to me is wearing are unusual. I asked the mother of the baby who was standing next to him. Normally, I would have passed by because I didn't want to disturb the busy young people, but was it the influence of the movie I saw yesterday?
“Did you make baby clothes by hand?"
“No, I brought it from Korea.”
"Oh! You are Korean.”
"yes."
The appearance of the mother in a black cotton dress is also unusual. Beautiful. Elegant. Sophisticated. The traffic light turned blue.
“You are also very pretty. Have a nice day."

It was the opening day of my husband, a ballpoint pen artist. The baby, the mother, and her husband that I encountered just opened the gallery door and came in! It was surprising and enjoyable.
“Do you recognize me?”
"Who are you… .?”
“I was the one who asked at the Upper West Crossing because the baby clothes were so pretty.”
“Oh my, how did you get here?”
“This is my husband’s solo exhibition.”
“Oh my gosh,  What a coincidence!"

No comments:

Post a Comment