Saturday, December 11, 2021

Looking for the Covered Bridge

 When it comes to the covered bridge, the movie '' comes to mind. While a woman husband is away from home for a while, the woman, whose daily life was always boring, meets a photographer who has lost his way fall in love for four days. The man asks the woman to leave the village together. In the end, he leaves alone and she sees him through the window of the car she and her husband are riding with by chance. The scene where she hesitated whether to open the car door or not and go to him is touching. 

 Am I going to open the car door and disappear whenever I have a quarrel with my husband in my life? Or will I open the apartment door and go out and never come back? It's a film that impressed me enough to imagine. The door seems to be attached like the front and back of a sheet of paper, but it can be the starting point of a very distant parting. 

 Of the more than 200 covered bridges in Pennsylvania, I left early in the morning to find the three closest to New York City. But due to traffic and road construction, time was running out just by to see the Knox Covered Bridge and the Van Sant Covered Bridge. 

 I expected there to be a rustic old bridge with a roof over a small rippling stream, but the closer I got to the bridge, the more unusual the scenery outside the car window. Stone houses followed. It was like stepping into the past. Horses and sheep enjoyed the sunshine on the endless meadow. The hill with sparse straws seemed to be dozing under the clouds with the coziness of wanting to lean against and fall asleep. The maple trees leaned against each other and whispered, surrendering themselves to the wind and dropping their leaves. There was only peace without resistance or clash. 

 The Knox Bridge is in Valley Forge National Historical Park. I walked inside the covered bridge where only one car could pass. The cars kindly waited for me to get out of the bridge. I ate lunch while sitting on a chair on the hill overlooking the village. It's delicious. After eating and playing, I folded the chair and carried it on my shoulder, and came down the hill. As if I were a farmer heading home after working hard in the field. 

 The Van Sant Bridge is in New Hope Bucks County. The area around the bridge was desolate, but to my surprise, after driving a little, I saw an old town gleaming in the setting sun. Come to think of it, I was passing the familiar Bucks County. I wanted to get off the car and walk around to take a closer look, but unfortunately, the early darkness of winter pushed me home. 

 Between 1825 and 1875, about 14,000 covered bridges were built in the United States. It is said that there are currently about 750 left because it is old and collapsed, swept away by floods, or burned. Perhaps the villages around the bridge have a deep history of being formed at that time. It is perfect for me who prefers to visit old places. I wrote it on my bucket list. 

 ‘Go on a road trip in search of a covered bridge, and be buried in nature.'

No comments:

Post a Comment