Friday, October 6, 2017

Who are we?

It is a surprise to see a child in the eyes of foreigners who first visited Korea carrying a child on their back. Looking at the black and white photos of the past reminds us of that time.

In the past, when a mother gave birth to a lot of children, the older sister raised the younger siblings on her back. When kids played, they did not even notice that their siblings were out of the swaddling.

One of my friends raised her younger five siblings on her back. Her relatives used give her pocket money that carried not only her relative’s children but also her neighbors on her back without being grumbled. She was carrying the children on her back until her back wet because the child bought their piss.

Even today, she takes care of all everyone around her like she was a child, talking care of her siblingsEvery time I meet her with friends, she always pays for meals, even if we try to pay.

I said, “ I’ll pay it this time.” from the entrance of the restaurant, she wouldn’t go in if she didn’t pay it. I managed to calm her down into the restaurant, but she doesn’t even have Dutch pay.

Since she had been took care of the children well, she always get pocket money from her relatives, so her pocket was always full. She was comfortable in paying for the meals whenever she met friends. “Why don’t count my uncomfortable feelings about being fed?” I asked her and she said, '”When my parents die, you will have a chance to buy meal and comfort me.” Her parents, whom I know, have died a long time ago.

I want to stay close to her, but will I be able to maintain my relationship with her when I am comfortable paying for what I have eaten?

The wise man phrase about ‘Who are we?’ came to mind, whenever I though of her.

'Everything that happened before we were born.
Things that happened before our eyes.
It's all about what we've been through.
It’s everything that has affected us.
All the things that we've influenced.
Everything that will happen even after we disappear.

Everything would not have happen without us.’

No comments:

Post a Comment