Friday, February 9, 2024

A bird perched in a small tree

I often compare myself to a little bird. A small bird that sits by the Hudson River and looks out over New Jersey, thinking, 'No matter how hard I flap my wings, I don't think I'll ever cross that wide river.' Everything around me looks big. When I walk into a large, dark gallery displaying video works, my chest feels tight. I can't focus on the artwork and keep flapping my wings towards the exit. The same goes for large art museums. It was so grand and big that I had no idea where to start, so I went outside and sat on the stairs.


Last Saturday, after wandering around Central Park and Riverside Park, I somehow ended up going to Canal Street in Chinatown. I opened the gallery door and entered. For a moment, the little bird stopped flapping its wings as it came down the Hudson River and felt that it could rest for a while in a cozy space. Small works filled the walls on three sides. Everything was visible at a glance, but the pieces were so small that I had to look closely.


These are the works of artist Alexa Grace. Here is her introduction to the artist:

'Alexa Grace’s illustrated sculpture is soft spoken and fragile with an understated wit. Each piece is like a small stage set with little cartoon characters as the actors.'


A short man greeted us in the middle of that small space. If there had been a big man occupying a small space, I wouldn't have stayed there as long as I did. He was using it as a gallery and his own workshop. He continued his story by showing the small dark gray box-within-a-box-within-a-smaller-box work he had made. So, to put it simply, they can be said to be similar to Russian Matryoshka dolls, but they are minimal pieces with a completely different feel. He worked at the Metropolitan Museum of Art for 26 years making boxes to store and protect art pieces. After retirement, he created a space to display, create, and preserve art..


The reason I've been talking at length about that gallery-workshop space is because the image of me breaking up with him never leaves my mind. Strangely, when I introduced my name ‘Sooim’ to him.

“Remember me. “My name, Sooim, sounds like swimming. .”

I even pretended to swim with both hands.

“I like swimming. But I can’t do it anymore.”

He looked down at his legs and said,

“Oh my, aren’t your legs strong enough to stand and talk for this long?”

“No, it can’t bend its knees, it’s just a leg like a tree.”

"Oh! do you mind if I, a little bird, come and rest on your tree branches often?”

I swallowed the words that were about to come out.

He rode the elevator down with us and stood until we were out of sight, then said he would go in.

No comments:

Post a Comment