Friday, June 17, 2011

Midsummer night's Dream

I called my husband, turning the steaming rice over with a spatula. "Let's eat!" Put the Beans cooked in soy sauce in a small bowl. Kimchi is put in a big bowl. "I told you to eat." The pretense of popularity but he didn't come. Slice the seaweed and put it on a plate, placed the boiling soybean paste ttukbaegi on the table. "You are not going to eat."

My husband opened the lid of the bean paste tukbaegi and put it down, 'Boom!' and said, "you didn't do even cuisine, why are you fussing so loud?" "Fuss, How many times do I have to call you are coming? Can't you come and help me at least once? Do you eat chicken? Do you eat pork? How can I cuisine because you can't eat meat." "What have you done so far? Why are you yelling?" I was suffocating as if I had been beaten hard by a spatula. What have I done for 27 years of marriage? I was busy doing something, but I can't think of anything I did except cook, laundry, and cleaning. Friends make money by doing business, and other friends became a famous painter, a doctor and a professor. What have I done so far? It is everyone's job to raise children. I can't say I'm the only one who raised her well.

My husband is right. I haven't done anything so far. I desperately tried to catch something and hugged tightly so as not to lose it, but as if I missed it and feel empty. I didn't sleep well all night. When I fell asleep, my husband's words, “What did you do?” made me waked up.

I remembered the time when I crawled into my mother's bed and rolled around smelling her. I used to when I heard the sound of a vegetable and a fish vendor’s yelling outside the window and I fell into a deep sleep when the haggling sound died down,. Tears soaked up the pillows.

Out of the old brick-building bathhouse at the end of the alley, walked through the narrow street and onto the main street. I left my face in the fresh wind and hummed along. I put on heavy makeup. I pull out all my clothes and try them on. I have no time. I leaves the room piled up the clothes that I tried on behind and wear the highest new shoes. At 3 p.m., I enter an Apple cafe in front of Yeongrak Church in Jeodong. The man I'm waiting for doesn't show up. Just a little bit more, a little more wait and then I came out to the dark. The new high shoes pinch me on the heels. My whole body shakes with grief. ‘It’s strange. Definitely, I got married and have a husband. But why wait anxiously for the man as a single? I'm alone again!

I opened my eyes in surprise. My husband sleeps snoring on next to me. As I looked out the window casually, wet with tears, the white laundry that I didn't bring in because of fighting with my husband yesterday was waving in the wind and beckoning me. I breathed a long sigh and gently called on my husband, scooping the steaming rice with a spatula. "Honey, have a meal."

No comments:

Post a Comment