Friday, April 5, 2024

Hawaii is far away

having to get off after sleeping, like on a European cruise. But  the waves were so strong that the ship kept breaking sounds. For some reason, the seasickness started with the offering of ginger candies at the entrance of the restaurant, and soon after, I began to feel seasick. Passengers were sticking patches, eating green apples, and munching on crackers while trembling with fear. The image of passengers tossing and turning in the boat as they braved the stormy sea journey to the island of Crete in 'Zorba the Greek' came to mind. 


"Don't we just love cruises and then die in the water?" 

As soon as I said this to my husband, the dishes in the restaurant fell, and the rescue crew stumbled around the fallen elderly passengers. It was difficult to walk without dancing to match the waves and maintain balance. Fortunately, with my dancing skills practiced every day, I was able to move around well, but the elderly stumbled, and meals were delivered to the room to be eaten. I also felt restless and nauseous. I took medication from the onboard clinic and went to the swimming pool. I lay in the middle of the ship, sunbathed, and took four-hour naps during a day. Of course, I slept at night either. As we approached Hawaii, the waves calmed down. With the waves subsiding, the cradle-like rocking stopped, then it was too calm to fall asleep. Even when stepping on land, my body still felt shaken. It was a tough journey despite paying so much money!


Some people said they would just fly home from Hawaii. Most of the elderly passengers, who had experienced everything in life, remained calm amidst it all. We thought to ourselves, 'As immigrants who have endured harsh hardships, we can't give up.'  After a pleasant trip to Hawaii, we traveled through Mexico and back to Long Beach. 


Unlike me, who wanders around and says, ‘I should travel when my legs are strong,’ foreigners, who travel courageously even without strong legs, there were many elderly people who pushed wheelchairs or walked with canes. There was even a couple who had been married for 65 years, and others who were on their fourth marriage. Most of them were polite and sweet. The world is full of diverse people living in diverse ways beyond what I know. I cannot stop traveling as I observe, feel, and learn from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment