Saturday, March 23, 2019

A plausible name

It's been 15 days since the baby was due. The doctor gave birth to a cesarean section, saying, "It's hard to deliver naturally and if we wait longer, the umbilical cord will wind up the baby." My son was born in the hospital as the heaviest of the week.

The nurse asked me what the baby's name was, saying I had to report her birth. I looked at my husband in embarrassment. What about Dain? I liked the quiet name that smelled like Buddhism and Confucianism.

Of course, when the baby was due, my father-in-law named him Hoover. I didn't like it. "What's Hoover? It's an old name too old.”

My father-in-law's name is Harry, his eldest granddaughter's name is Helen, and eldest grandson's is Henry. My son's name is Hoover. Did  father-in-law like H? Anyway, I was wondering if he decided to unify the names of his grandchildren with H, but I can't ignore father-in-law's sincerity, so Hoover was named middle name. Growing up, the child hated the name Hoover.

My husband name is Il and his older brother's name is Sik, younger brother's name is Jun, younger sister's name is Hwa, and the youngest is Won, all a single-character name. It is said that it is named for planting flower, excellent person and comfort in the garden of the house. My husband remembers that his distant relatives grandfather, who was often visited in his childhood, grumbled about why children name was this shape.

Not long ago, my son visited by Taiwan and Japan and Korea. When giving birth to a child, our couple are not America citizens, so the child is dual citizenship. I was worried because he could be taken to the military if he goes to Korea and went wrong. I asked the consulate, but It's all things to all men. My son went excitedly, saying, "If I go to the army, I'll stay as an officer and come back, so don't worry."

After hitting the bottom of their immigrant lives, our husband and wife, who have come all this way, are becoming more comfortable and relaxed. We also sent my children services to difficult countries at the age of 14 to make children look at the world with joy. Every time they returned, said, "Mom, I'm lucky to be born and educated as a man in the largest and most affluent city in the world," and was satisfied with his situation. So even if you go to Korea and finish your military service, it's not a bad thing.

During the departure screening at Incheon International Airport, an elderly airport employee looked at his passport. He laughed loudly and with a loud voice call him 'Hoover' and stamped his seal. "Mom, I like Hoover's name now."

It's an American name, but it's not easy to make a Korean name that is easy to call and good to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment