Wednesday, August 26, 2009

An immature friend

"What are you doing?" "I just sit down." or  "I just lie down.”

When a friend called, that was what I always said. I was lying down looking at the ceiling, if I didn't draw. I lay on the sofa to read, wondering if it would be helpful to write. My friends found me strange that I didn't make a phone call even if I was lying or sitting down.

There was a time when I called long without a hint. Then one day, I stopped calling.

All my friends are busy. Strangely, when I call a friend, a guest comes in and get busy. I can hear the sound of opening and closing a money register. Sometimes I hear the conversation with the guests. When the conversation lasted for a long time, I used to hang up the receiver.

A friend who does the laundry, she have to find the laundry and  gets the money for it. A friend who does Photoshop, a customer comes in to take a passport photo. And a friend who's does the liquor store, a customer came in to buy liquors. And a friend who does nail salons, It's time to get a guest who had an appointment.

My friends were so busy making money, but I used just call to this friend and that friend. Then one day one of the friend told me. "Why are you so immature? You don't make money?"

A few days ago, I got a call from a friend who owns three stores. She is so busy. Sometimes, when she go to buy something she need at her store  she pick me up and tell me what she have been behind. I sat next to her who was driving. Her eyes were bloodshot from fatigue and she lost weight, and her pretty face was wrinkled.

Her employee hasn't been to work for a few days and he collapsed from a cerebral hemorrhage and is lying in a coma. A 42-year-old the Chinese employee reportedly had to earn money and send it to China, but it was hard to afford it because there were no customers these days. Besides, he was suffering from chest pains.

"I should live a positive life without worrying too much. Now I want to rest, too," the friend sighed. "Why don't you rest?’ I uttered my words immaturely. "Is it that easy as you say? There's a lot left to do."  I shut my mouth as I looked out of the dark window before the sound of 'why are you not so mature' coming out of my friend's mouth?

No comments:

Post a Comment