Friday, February 23, 2024

From Haeundae to Hallasan Mountain

We climbed the steep hill of Dalmaji Road, where there are many galleries in Haeundae, enjoyed the beach view, and then came down and sat on the sand. The color of the water was as dazzlingly beautiful as the Caribbean Sea. I got the impression that people in Busan dress more simply and stylishly than people in Seoul. In the evening, I went to Centum Shinsegae Department Store. For a moment, I thought I was in New York, as if the famous brand store on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan had been relocated. There is a sauna on the first floor. The facilities were so enormous that it truly felt like entering a new world. Foreigners received a coupon giving them three free eggs per person. The kids said they didn't want to eat, but I ate and I choked up as if I had an upset stomach. The prices of the drinks are so high that I wondered, ‘Couldn’t they have been trying to sell drinks by giving each person three eggs for free?’


We took a plane from Busan and went to Jeju Island. Jeju Island food didn't suit me that much. we were lucky enough to get a great deal on a room at the Grand Hyatt, and the room size and facilities were great. I think I understand why the term “staycation” came about. All facilities are top-notch without having to leave the hotel. It was cold outside at night, but as I was soaking in the hot water of the outdoor hot spring, I thought, ‘The money is good. That’s why temples and saunas are making such a fuss to make money.’ Shouldn’t I make more money too?


We drove around Halla Mountain and three or four beaches in a rented car. The parking space is too narrow. The marks on the side of the car were noticeable, so I was concerned that there would be a problem when we returned the car. As soon as we arrived at Lotte Rent-a-Car, a young man looked around the car as if he had been waiting and said it was over and bid us farewell. There was an exclamation of surprise and admiration at how quickly things were done. We also received free bus service to the airport, which runs every 8 minutes.


In Korea, once we entered a restaurant, my oldest son ordered using a computer screen with pictures. The younger son took out cutlery and napkins from a drawer attached to the table. The basic side dish that each person can bring was brought by my husband, who eats a lot of kkakdugi. I didn't stand still either. I can't break husban's stubborn spirit, but I did my best to keep the balance between the kids and him. When the order was placed, a red-hot charcoal was served. The children enjoyed it, saying that the taste of grilled meat was excellent. My husband, who loves seafood, gave in to the kids' request for meat, and the kids gave in to their dad's favorite fish and seafood. I wanted to eat kimbap and odeng rather than seafood and meat, but in order not to offend my husband, I just saw the opportunity and held back, but in the end, I returned without being able to eat tteokbokki and sundae.


No matter which restaurant we went to, the food was all delicious. The service was friendly and fast. The bread was delicious and the coffee was strong. This was quite a shock to me, who is used to living a quiet life in the middle of Manhattan, New York City, repeating the same routine every day. I can see why my friends visit Korea so often, and I think it started when I was on an Asiana flight. On the flight to Seoul, I ate bibimbap. On the flight back to New York, I ate ssambap. My oldest son didn't know what the Korean word for ssambap was, so he didn't get to eat it, and he still regrets it to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment